Ecuador’s flower industry is seeking to recover from at least three shocks in 2022, and a trade agreement with Canada could help them. Canada is currently the fifth market for Ecuadorian flowers. A trade agreement between the two countries could increase exports from the floriculture sector to that country.
Between January and November 2022, Ecuador exported 5,197 tons of flower stems to that market, which represents USD 33 million in FOB value (port price). This gives Canada a 4% share of the main export destinations for Ecuadorian flowers, according to the National Association of Ecuadorian Flower Producers and Exporters (Expoflores).
The main market is the United States, with 39%. Then there is the European Union, with 25%. And behind would be Kazakhstan (10%), Russia (4%), and Canada.
Ecuadorian flowers pay a 10.5% tariff to enter Canada, if the dispatch is direct from Ecuador. If the cargo leaves Miami, they pay an additional rate of 6.5%, that is, a total of 17%.
Read more at ecuadortimes.net