Members of the Farplants Group take turns to host the event, with everyone in the cooperative contributing to the day. In 2022, it was Binsted Nursery’s turn, and 31 volunteers from Walberton, Binsted, Fleurie, Toddington, and Farplants helped at the event, including some budding young horticulturists running the lucky dip stand.
The event featured a variety of things to experience and see, such as:
- Plant sales with fabulous products donated from all four Farplants nurseries.
- Homemade cakes and refreshments, with more than a dozen delicious cakes and sweet treats made by volunteers across the Farplants Group.
- Gardening seed and herb section with peat-free growing media, pots and labels donated by Fargro, seeds by Fleurie, and herbs by Binsted.
- Self-guided tour through the herb glasshouse.
- Perennial and British Red Cross charity stands.
- Fish and chip van hosted by The Food ShackChildren’ss activity sheets created by Binsted staff children.
- Guided tour ofBinsted’ss reservoir and wetland area
- Biological control stand hosted by Koppert, complete with their very own bumblebees.
A masterclass in seed sowing from Binsted’s Lead Propagator
All the money gathered at the Farplants stands, £450 after costs, will be donated to Perennial and the British Red Cross for Ukraine. Leftover plants from the plant sale were also donated to the two charities. To find out more about the event, go to farmsunday.org
For more information: